Mobile Wireless Hotspot Rules
What is a mobile hotspot?
A mobile hotspot is a small device that provides an internet connection for a computer or device at home or on the go. The hotspot lending program is a FREE service that allows cardholders to check out a hotspot device and connect to the internet. The hotspot device works in any area covered by the Sprint 4G LTE network.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
My device will not connect to the hotspot/will not stay connected
A hotspot connects to nearby cellular towers, just like a smartphone does, and then wirelessly shares its data connection with nearby Wi-Fi-enabled devices, like a laptop. Your hotspot device needs to connect to a Sprint cell tower in order to function. Signal strength will vary based on the physical location of your hotspot.
Troubleshooting connection issues:
- Move the device to a different location. For example, try setting it by a window or taking it to a different side of the house, so it can more easily connect with a Sprint cell tower.
- Restart the hotspot and your personal device.
- Check to see that the Wi-Fi connection on your personal device is turned on. This can be done in the settings menu on your device.
- Make sure the hotspot is not more than 30 feet away from your personal device. The connection strength will be weaker if your device is farther away from the hotspot.
- If the hotspot turns off on its own, it may need charging. Plug it into the wall. We recommend always using the provided cord.
- If the hotspot turned off while it was already plugged in, it might be overheated. Unplug it and try to turn it on again. If it does not work, let the hotspot cool down several minutes before trying to turn it on again.
- Visit sprint.com to determine the strength of the Sprint signal at your address.
- Hotspots are not designed to be on 24/7. Leaving them on or plugged in all the time can cause overheating and possible permanent damage.
- If the battery is full, unplug it until it needs charging again.
- Turn off the hotspot when you are not using it. If you need it a lot throughout the day, turn it off overnight.
- You can use the hotspot outside for short periods but never leave it outside or in your car.
- A hotspot needs ample space for airflow on the top and sides so that heat can escape. Do not place anything on top of it or use it while smooshed inside a backpack, pocket, or purse.
Guidelines for Borrowing and Use
- Must be a Bee County Resident at least 18 years
- One hotspot per FAMILY.
- Hotspots are available on a first come, first serve basis.
- Have a current JBBCL library card and be in good standing with the
- Must have a valid driver’s license/ID card for check-out.
What comes in a hotspot kit?
- 1 case
- 1 hotspot device
- 1 wall charger
- Booklet on how to use mobile hotspot
Where can I check out a hotspot kit?
Hotspot kits are available for checkout at the circulation desks at the Joe Barnhart Bee County Library.
Can I place a hold on a hotspot device?
Yes, a hold can be placed by calling the library at 361-362-4901 or through our catalog: https://bclib.biblionix.com/catalog/ One (1) hotspot per family.
Customers are notified when their hotspot hold is available. Once notified, customers have 2 days (48 hours) to check out the hotspot before the hold is cancelled.
Can I pause a hold on a hotspot?
Once placed, a hold on a hotspot cannot be paused but you may cancel the hotspot at anytime.
How long can I borrow a hotspot kit?
You can borrow a hotspot kit for three weeks Hotspot devices may be renewed if there are no hold pending on the device.
Where should I return a hotspot kit?
Please return the Hotspot in person to a library staff member at the front desk.
What if I return a hotspot kit late or lose it?
Customers are responsible for costs associated with loss or damage of the hotspots and/or cords, adapters, cases, etc.
The wireless service on the hotspot will be turned off if the hotspot is not returned 3-days after the due date.
If individual parts of the kit are lost or damaged, the following replacement costs will be the responsibility of the borrower.
- Hotspot device replacement fee: $68.00
- Case replacement: $9.00
- Processing fee: $5.00
If the entire hotspot kit is lost or damaged, please contact the location where you checked it out immediately. The total kit replacement fee is $110.
How many devices can be connected to a hotspot?
Up to 15 devices can be connected to the hotspot device at one time using the WiFi password: library1
Is the hotspot filtered?
All library wifi hotspots are filtered. This is in accordance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA).
Can I use the hotspot device outside the U.S.?
No, the hotspot device only functions in the United States and where a Sprint signal is available. Visit coverage.sprint.com to see where Sprint coverage is available.
What if I need help connecting my device to the hotspot?
If you need help connecting your personal device to the hotspot, please call the library at 361-362-4901 to speak with IT Specialist Charlie Cook.
Technical Support available during library hours at 361-362-4901.